The Belin-Blank Center is excited to announce the release of the 2019 Iowa AP Index!
The Iowa AP Index was developed in 2005 by the University of Iowa College of Education’s Belin-Blank Center for Gifted Education and Talent Development. The Iowa AP Index serves to recognize the Top 50 Iowa accredited public and nonpublic high schools for providing Advanced Placement (AP) opportunities to Iowa’s high school students.
The Iowa AP Index provides a measure of AP opportunities. The AP Index is the ratio of AP Exams taken by students to the number of graduating seniors. A high AP Index indicates a school has developed a culture that encourages students to take AP courses and exams. Schools with index scores in the top 50 are publicly recognized for their commitment to providing AP opportunities. Schools that are not in the top 50 are notified separately regarding their index ranking.
This year, Rivermont Collegiate in Bettendorf is the top Advanced Placement school in Iowa, according to the Iowa AP Index.
In previous years, Rivermont Collegiate was classified as a Specially Accredited College Preparatory School in the Iowa AP Index. However, Rivermont Collegiate is accredited by the Iowa Department of Education, and therefore is no longer considered specially accredited. Rivermont Collegiate is now recognized with the accredited public and nonpublic schools in the Iowa AP Index.
The top 10 schools in the 2019 Iowa AP Index behind first-place Rivermont (index of 4.71) are:
2. Valley High School (West Des Moines, index of 2.70)
3. Valley Lutheran High School (Cedar Falls, index of 2.55)
4. Roosevelt High School (Des Moines, index of 2.48)
5. West Senior High School (Iowa City, index of 2.26)
6. John F. Kennedy High School (Cedar Rapids, index of 2.23)
7. George Washington High School (Cedar Rapids, index of 2.10)
8. Wahlert Catholic High School (Dubuque, index of 1.91)
9. Muscatine High School (Muscatine, index of 1.88)
10. Iowa City High School (Iowa City, index of 1.86)
Magnet Schools: We also want to give a special recognition to Des Moines Central Academy (index of 2.63), which is not ranked with the Iowa public and nonpublic schools.
To view the top 50 AP schools in Iowa, visit www.iowaapindex.org.