The radio and The Weather Channel are constant reminders that “It’s cold outside.” However, my colleagues and I are warm inside the Blank Honors Center thanks in large part to the work of the Center conducted on behalf of the students, educators, and families we serve.
The cold weather in Iowa coincides with the end of the calendar year, when it’s typical to reflect upon the previous 12 months. The dedication of the Belin-Blank Center faculty and staff resulted in several new initiatives, including a board report. See the colorful and informative 2014-2016 report for a full accounting of the initiatives.
As an added bonus, online readers of the report can meet 12 of the members of the Belin-Blank Center administrative staff through an individual 1-2-minute presentation. Go to page 14 of the report and click on an administrator’s name to view their video.
Planning for 2017 was also a major aspect of 2016. This next calendar year will feature several new endeavors in addition to ongoing services and opportunities for students and educators. Here’s a peek at what we’ve been up to:
- Extending our reach through a series of podcasts hosted by Belin-Blank Center Director Emeritus Nicholas Colangelo. The first episode of The Window, a podcast about talent development that asks the unanswered questions, will be released in mid-spring. Keep an eye on our social media for more details.
- New programming for pre-college students: thanks to generous funding from the Perry Foundation, we established the Perry Research Scholars Institute, a two-week summer program for students in grade eight through ten.
- Our research agenda continues to grow, and we will be reporting on major findings over the next year.
- We’re in the midst of creating a new design for our main website. Look for a cleaner, easier-to-use Belin-Blank Center website in early 2017.
- We recently opened registration for our 2017 summer programs.
My best wishes to all of you for a happy and healthy 2017, and happy holidays from all of us at the Belin-Blank Center.